Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feeling Lucky

Bon soir, my friends. My father told me today that I need to update this more, so alas, here I am.
The reason that I have not posted anything in two weeks is because my life has really not been that fascinating! Well, okay. Comparatively.
This is a summary of what I do every day:
7:20am: Wake up, eat whatever breakfast is put out for me. Which doesn't include Nutella, because my host mom announced this week she hid it from me because she's worried about my waistline.
8:30am: Walk to the train station
8:50am: Board the train
9:06am: Arrive in Geneva, walk to class
9:30am-12:30pm: Class
12:30pm-2pm: Lunch, usually a 6 CHF panini or 7 CHF falafel. And a Coke Zero.
M,T,TH 2pm-5pm: French class with Jean, where we still have learned close to absolutely nothing in the French language.
W,F: Afternoons off! Sometimes. Sometimes we have to go international security conferences and they take all day. But, I mean, that's pretty cool, I guess. (In case you can't catch my sarcasm, I complain about not having my afternoons free when that happens but then my nerd senses tingle and I get really excited about being around so many intellectual experts.)
5:14pm: Train home
5:30pm: Arrive in Nyon
5:50pm: Arrive home
5:50-7:30pm: I pretend that I'm doing important things on my computer but really I sit in my bed and watch really crappy pirated links of U.S. television and talk to people on Facebook.
7:30-8:30pm: Dinner
8:30-10pm: I do more pretending about academics, but really spend most of my time trying to do everything but homework
10:30pm: Sleep!
Exhilarating.
In reality, we are learning some pretty cool stuff. I totally nerd out every single day after class and think about all the neat things I want to do with my life, and right now I'm really into the idea of studying International Humanitarian Law. To spare you a political-natured post, I will just say that the future of conflict in the world is not going to be combat based, but the military is going to still be extremely important. What does that mean? The military is going to need to change its focus and rules of engagement are going to become increasingly important. And I would like to be a part of that! New Age peace keeping, as I have come to call it. I wrote my first paper (about the Schengen Agreement free movement of people across Europe and its correlation to human trafficking, ironic later) this semester, due yesterday, so that has consumed a lot of my time this past week or so.
My homestay situation is interesting. Ahmed, my host dad, is awesome. No complaints. My host mom is a little nuts. As I mentioned before, she hid the Nutella from me. Literally nowhere to be found. And when I asked her about it, she said she hid it because she's been putting me on a diet this week, as she's concerned about my waistline. I don't even know what to say to that. No Nutella for me, I guess. My host sister also has been interesting this week. She's very nice to me, but I've been waking up at 6am every day, only to see her creeping around my room with a flashlight, looking for things in storage. I don't understand. It's stressful. It's bad enough that this family wakes up at 5am and is ready to live, and is so excited about it, it sounds like the apocalypse. BUT, I talked to them about it, so hopefully things will get better. Minus my Nutella-free diet.
So, lastly, last night I was roofied! I know that it's minorly strange that I'm so lighthearted about it but I just am so happy that I am okay. Got creeped on by a guy, watched him buy me a beer, took one drink of it to get him off my case, he grabbed me and stuck his tongue down my throat, and I immediately proceeded to sprint out of the bar with my friend, Jasmine. I ended up not being able to see anything, barely making it back to my apartment and my bed, with paralyzed limbs and poor speaking ability. I was on the phone with Tyler, I blacked out, and woke up on my floor 4 hours later. I don't know how it happened, because I was cautious and close to sober at the time, but it did! It was scary and not an experience I wish to repeat, but I am alive, not a sex slave, and not chained up in a basement anywhere. And for that, I am incredibly grateful.
Today Sam, Jasmine, and I went to the Old City in Geneva to get some fresh air and enjoy the incredibly beautiful day. Below are some pictures!
Tomorrow I leave for our week long study trip in Brussels (the EU) and Paris, and then will spend a weekend in Paris with some of my best friends from school! I cannot wait. I'm an incredibly lucky person!
Just some finger puppets that I wanted to buy.

The World's Largest Bench! Literally. 

Geneva! So beautiful. 
Anyway, I can't complain about my quality of life. Yesterday's experience was a bump in the road, but it happened because I am in another country, spending my semester doing things that are changing my life. I have a life filled with luck, love, and happiness, and especially today, I don't know what else I could ask for!

2 comments:

  1. Dana, you are so brilliant! I love reading your posts - so insightful and funny and real. I know you will do amazing things in your life! I am so relieved that you made it home from the bar safely and that you had a friend with you! Yikes, what a close call!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you never visit when you're here, I have to read about your happenings. It doesn't seem right.

    We used to hide the peanut butter from my dad. Under the couch, on the bookshelf, in the basement, whatever, because he'd get up in the middle of the night an consume half a jar. My dad and I have (had) the same build, so it wasn't as if he was putting on all kinds of weight.

    I won't even discuss the roofie experience. I'm seeing your parents tomorrow so I'll talk with them about it.

    ReplyDelete