Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting the Hang of Things

Bonjour! That's still one of about 6 French words that I can speak now. I also know how to ask for tap water, because as I mentioned in my previous post, normal water costs money. So, in case you're interested, "Tap water, please," is "l'eau de robinet, s'il vous plaît."
So fascinating. Anyway, not many things have changed since my last post. I completed my first week of school and have become quite proficient in all forms of public transportation, including being able to read military time. I'm never going to make fun of people for being exhausted after a day of work, because after my 9-5 days of school, I can't wait to go to bed at 10 o'clock.
Last week we went to the UN, if you saw my Facebook picture, and got our "official passes," which is fancy way of saying we can use the library, attend various conferences, and eat in the cafeteria. But, it's pretty neat, I have to admit. I still don't think I can fully grasp that I'm in a place of such international importance, but I'm very excited for our guest lectures from a few of the UN diplomats and to get more involved with the organization. It's also the cheapest place to eat lunch... international grounds means no tax :)
In case you didn't see my picture, here is a small group of us in front of the UN:
Just a couple of nerds on a lunch break! Actually, we had to do a research project at the ICRC across the street, which is the Red Cross World Headquarters. Not a joke, the security to get into that library is way more intense than all security into the UN.
After just completing our first weekend on our own, I would have to say it was successful! In Nyon, the last bus leaves to come to my apartment at 11:58 from the transit center, so if we stay in town, that is as late as my nights will ever go. Not trying to walk by myself down any dark alleys on the way home. Anyway, we went out on Friday for a little bit in Nyon, and although I couldn't socialize myself as I cannot communicate with anyone, my friend Azline speaks fluent French and very much enjoys the locals. I am just her wingman (woman)!
Yesterday was a fantastic day. My host family had recommended that we travel to Gruyère, a place in the Alps with a picturesque castle, and known for its fondue and mineral baths. I don't know why anyone would turn that down, so at 11:10am, a few of us embarked on the two hour journey through the countryside to see what Gruyère had to offer. We were not disappointed. It was snowing, and much like Colorado, was absolutely beautiful. Our first stop was the mineral baths. My camera is not waterproof so I am adding this photo courtesy of Google:
Yeah, I'm not complaining. Imagine that with snow all around, and the baths were steaming. It was wonderful. In addition to the heated mineral baths were saunas and turkish baths. I don't know that my skin or my body have ever felt better! Then, after a stressful series of events (everywhere closes at 4 and most restaurants open at 6:30, and we were trying to eat at 5) we found a restaurant that was open and served fondue. I'm not the biggest fan of cheese, but this was phenomenal. I'm probably going to come back (definitely going to come back) a huge cheese snob. After a delicious dinner of fondue and a dessert of tiramisu ice cream and wine, we returned home, and called it a night.
Today I am actually having to do homework and apply for a few internships, and have decided I am going to need to buy a parka because I have never been this cold in my life.
That's about it!
Until next time, friends!




1 comment:

  1. Being a fan of cheese, I look forward to benefitting from your acquired knowledge. You'll have to promise to share what you learn! Sounds like you will have wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete